Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
JTBLACK

Niche Question

I Just Started A 4x5 Walk In Shower And The 1/2" Hardibacker Is Set, Now I Have Been Told By My Better 1/2 That I Will Install A Niche . How Difficult Will This Be Since The Backer Is Already Up, And Does The Flanged Part Stay On Top Of The Backerboard?
JTBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Bruce K

niche vs. tile soap holder

My better 1/2 also wanted niches, but we chose the tile accessory of those mounted soap/shampoo shelves (don't remember the exact name of the shelf-thingy). The pre-made niches also seemed very expensive, and they're just stryfoam product.
If you must do the niche, CBU has to come down.
Also, we are glad we chose the tile accessory, because we can align the tile joints exactly where we want them. It seems to me, with the niches, you may have to cut more tile, and joints may not align as easily.
This is all my opinion now, as I have just installed the CBU and haven't installed any tile or shelves yet.
Also, our shelves (& tile) are Daltile, and I would think all tile manufacturers may not make integral shelves... Others can confirm or deny this... All I know is Daltile has them
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Todds

If you are talking about one of those pre-formed niche's then the flaps but up to the hardibacker and don't go over it. Those flaps are to be fastened to wood framing. So one would need to frame out the area with wood studs/blocking so that you can fasten the niche to it. There should be a plastic vapor barrier behig the niche as well. Hopefully you have just screwed the hardibacker in and have not mesh taped and thinseted the panels together. If not just unscrew the panel where you want to put the niche, install the blocking and plastic, and cut out a hole in the hardibacker where the niche will sit.

Of couse hang out because maybee someone has some better advise.
Attached Images

Todds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

You can also make your own niche as I did - HERE . If CBU then you'll want to apply a waterproofing membrane like Redgard...
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
sopchak

cutting cbu - pre-formed niches

I want to install a few niches. The walls already have the cbu up. If I am going to use the pre-formed niches, can I simply cut a hole in the cbu where I want to put the niche?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
NCTILEMAN

Sopchak, yes you can cut them in now, just remeber that the pre-formed niches are made to fit in between 16 on center studs, and there can`t be any pipes or other obstructions in between the studs. They do make some narrow niches, but by the time you tile them, you can`t get many bottles in them.
Gary
NCTILEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #7
sopchak

Thanks Gary

I have stud bays selected out that are clear of pipes and other obstructions. Now it is just a matter of doing it! BTW, what is the best way to cut the cbu?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase