Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-05-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
joealati

shower advice needed

I have my cement board all up and seams taped etc. . Before tiling I am wondering if I need to tape and cement the cement board on the mud basin or if that should be caulked? I was told to leave a 1/4" gap between the cement board and the cement shower floor pan. Then leave the same gap between the bottom row of wall tile, and floor tile. The gap along the bottom of the shower would be caulked. My thought was to tape and cement tyhe cement board at the bottom and then caulk the tile only. I will appreciate and am open to all suggestions and advice. Also what should I use as a caulk for the bottom edges and four wall corners of the shower?
joealati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
bbcamp

No, don't tape the CBU to the mud bed. The cbu stops about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the liner, then the final slope covers the bottom inch or so, locking it into place. No tape needed.

You are correct about caulking the tile joint there.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
joealati

The concern was over the rate of expansion of the floor vs the wall. thanks for your reply. My cement wall board is actually touching the floor in a couple of places. Should I be concerned about this in regards to expansion.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
bbcamp

No, the concern would be that some standing water could wick up into the CBU. However, with a good preslope and open weepholes in the drain fitting, the water would rather go down the drain.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Joe, Welcome aboard.

I think you and Bob might be talking about different things. Bob is talking about the cement board being installed before the final mud bed is put in. But it sounds as though you did the mud bed then installed the backer board, in which case it woudn't matter whether you taped the cement board to the floor. Probably wouldn't hurt, but I'm no expert on CBU showers.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
joealati

You are right

I did mount the cbu after the mud bed was put in. One source told me I needed to be concerned with the mud bed and the cbu expanding at different rates and therefore I should caulk the bottom of the cbu to the floor as well as caulk the tile at the floor. The cbu on the wall is mounted to wood 2x4 that may add to the varying rate of expansion/movement. If I need to be concerned with expansion then caulking the cbu to the floor sounds right but the way I see it I should tape the cbu to the floor and only caulk the tile. What do you think?
Old 08-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Taping it won't hurt, Joe. The movement will be slight. Caluking the tile will take care of it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
joealati

thankyou

Appreciate your advice. The web is an amazing tool.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase