Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
armina

Darkening Marble Tile or Marble Tile Removal

Our tile guy installed our 8x16 polished white marble carrera in our master shower without doing a dry run. Now, we have a few tiles that are clearly whiter than the majority of the other tiles. Is there an enhancer you would recommend to darken these up so that they are a less noticeable whiter color? We tried a Custom aquamix enhancer and another enhancer that had the "ice" in the name. Nothing seems to work as the tile looks exactly the same when we apply the enhancer? Any recommendation? Could the fact that it be polished be preventing the enhancer from working?

If this doesn't work, we would need to remove the tile but really worried that this is going to damage the other tiles and more importantly, the dense glass behind it causing a water leak in the future. We would really appreciate any techniques to help us safely remove the tiles.

Super disappointed but hoping this group can help us fix this mess. Please help!
Attached Images

Unread 09-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Armina.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

1) Were all the tiles set at the same time, or is there any chance that the lighter tiles were the very last tiles to be installed?
2) Is there any chance that the lighter tiles were set with a different setting material than the darker tiles?
3) What does your installer say about the lighter tiles and do they have any proposal to remedy?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I have the same questions. Usually when we see that, those tiles were lighter before they were ever installed.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #4
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Gotta shuffle those boxes, especially marble. Those lighter tiles should have stood out to him.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
Dave Gobis
da Man!

From what you told me before, I still think it may dry out. You said they were getting lighter as they set longer. Putting marble over an impervious surface gives the moisture only one way to go, out the front. As I mentioned, this is not a new problem.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Cain
Cain

I can never figure out how God can make the same rocks different colors.
Doesn't he know clients want them all the same
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
eurob
Not...Sure

It is called packaging . Ask how the clients feel when asked to purchase 20 or 30% more of the finishing material in question -- marble -- to just be able to blend them in a balanced shading ?

From the photo , doesn't matter where you insert the white ones , they will always be different than the others.

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
armina

Removing marble

The installer incorrectly installed these. They were all installed at around the same time, more than 3 weeks ago. They should have been removed but weren't. They are all dried and were just a different color. Any suggestions on how to 1) darken the tile?

Otherwise, some advice on how to remove would be greatly appreciated. Any special tools that can help?

Installer doesn't have a recommendation so I am reaching out to this group of experts for suggestions.
Unread 09-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

What's behind the tile? CBU, a membrane, deckmud, other? Normally, to remove a tile, you remove the grout around it, then smash it in the middle and try to get pieces out. If you don't remove the grout first, you'll crack adjacent tiles, but if it's on a waterproof membrane, it becomes a bigger problem trying to make a viable seam once the old tile is out.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
ded dux

They probably all looked that white before install, the others have changed due to moisture but those may have had something on them to prevent or retard the moisture from getting into the stone?
Unread 09-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

In my opinion, if the installer made the mistake of installing them, then he should replace them. I wouldn't wait for a recommendation from him but rather recommend to him that he made the mistake and should replace them himself.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 09-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg

What Davy said. Hopefully, you haven't paid the entire bill as of yet?

And if there's anything else you'd like to add out here in public to shed light on anything, feel free. It sounds like you've contacted at least one member here privately and shared something we haven't been made aware of. My main concern is that we may be giving you bad advice based on only half the facts.

Unread 09-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg

Are you still there, Armina? Any change in appearance?

Unread 09-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #14
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Unfortunately any enhancing sealer you put on the stone now won't do much, you've already sealed all of the pores with the other products you've tried. You could try this product and then this product which may darken the tiles a couple of shades. The other solution, unfortunately, is a tear-out and re-install because it would be very difficult to remove the tiles without impacting the waterproofing.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

We are all probably guilty of doing this at least once. I was installing a marble floor a while back, 1 inch hex and all the sheets were matching pretty well. I installed about half of it and then I saw it, 1 12x12 sheet that was lighter than the rest. The thing is, it was out in the middle of the floor but I did manage to reach it. It stood out like a sore thumb. I knew it wouldn't fly so I went ahead and removed it. The sheet was wasted but everyone was happy in the end.

This kind of thing usually happens to me when the customer picked up the tiles from a big box store.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase