Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
jennkunes

Need help asap with unlevel backsplash!!!

I'm in the process of getting granite countertops installed and have run into a problem. I have a travertine (4 inch tiles) backsplash and it was installed unlevel by the previous homeowner. The granite guy was here to measure for the counters and the 4ish inch backsplash that will meet up with the current travertine backsplash that runs up my wall. The measurements from the bottom of the travertine backsplash to the top of the cabinets ranges from 4 1/4" to 4 5/8". I really don't want to remove all of the backsplash because I like it but I don't want to have a really prominent caulk or grout line in some areas while in other areas the granite butts right up to it...
Is it possible to "shave" off the bottom of an already existing travertine backsplash? If so, how can that be done (with what tool??). Desperate for any help or advice I can get!!
Thank you!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by jennkunes; 10-24-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
jennkunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

not following you on what your planning.

if the granite splash is going on the travertine backsplash that is out of level, no matter what you do the tile will still be un level, with the 4" splash set on the tile or cut out under the tile.

hmmmmmm
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
jennkunes

Unlevel backsplash...

Thank you for responding!!
What i'm hoping to do is have the granite meet the bottom of the travertine backsplash. As it is now, I was told that we could have the granite backsplash installed as it is and in some areas it would meet the to the bottom of the travertine (where it measures 4 1/4" from counter to bottom of travertine) while in other areas (where it measures 4 5/8" from counter to bottom of travertine) there would just be about a 3/8" space, which I think would look pretty bad.
I was told that they can make the granite backsplash as high as I want it, so what I was thinking was that I could find the highest point of the travertine to counter (4 5/8"), make a level line all around and try to shave off the bottom of the travertine so it would be a level 4 5/8" measurement all the way across (from bottom of travertine to counter)...and then order the granite backsplash to meet the newly leveled travertine bottom.
Not sure if this makes any sense!! I added pics so which might help?!
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
TCoggins

Can you order the backsplash 4-5/8" tall, and butt the backsplash up against the tile (as opposed to cutting the tile)? The look will be the same, without all the work of cutting the tile.

You will lose about 1/4" or so of countertop, as the backsplash will not be up against the wall, but will be out from the wall the same thickness as the tile backsplash.

Just a thought.

Tim
TCoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
ceramictec

if the bottom of the tile is flat just not level the granite fabricators can cut the 4" splash according to your open area. from 4 1/4" to 4 5/8".

if it rolls up and down across the counter then that's a different story.

I would have then cut it 5" and set it on the travertine a little having them fill the void with 1/4 cement board.

rather then making it difficult by cutting your wall tile, etc.
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
ceramictec

does it get bigger this way ?
Attached Images

Unread 10-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
jennkunes

That's exactly how it is! The lowest point is in the corner and then it gets slightly higher as you move toward the stove (it also gets higher going in the opposite direction going towards the refrigerator and sink (not shown in pic)).
I think the idea about covering the travertine bottom instead of meeting it that both you and Tim had is great, hadn't even considered it! I'm going to ask my fabricator what he thinks about that idea!
I REALLY appreciate everyones help!!!!! THANK YOU! Feel free to repost if you can think of any other options too!!
THANKS!!!!!!
Unread 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
ceramictec

Quote:
I think the idea about covering the travertine bottom instead of meeting it that both you and Tim had is great, hadn't even considered it! I'm going to ask my fabricator what he thinks about that idea!
the only thing that will do is create the ends sticking out further then the wall.
Unread 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Are you sure it's the travertine that's unlevel and not the cabinents? Did you put a level on this stuff?
Unread 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
jennkunes

Hi Royce,
Cabinets were just installed and are level (I did check w/a level). When looking at the travertine close up you can see the bottom of some of the tiles are lower than the one next to it. The people who originally did it then grouted the crap out of it so there were thick grout lines in some areas and less in others but there's definitely a slight slope! Thanks for writing!!
Unread 10-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You coulod go to Home Depot and get some noce travertine 4x4 and and another row at bottom,and eliminate the granite splash,if the measurement will work i think it would look better than a granite splash.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
Marge

I agree with Stoner (pains me to admit that, but.....). Having the trav go down to the counter will, IMO, look way better than combined with a short piece of granite. Clean lines and not so broken up. You should be able to find some trav to match that. Is your granite light or dark? That would make a visual difference as well.

And can see why you want to keep the backsplash...very nice indeed!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase