Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
jburrows500

Grout Question-unglazed white 1" hexagon tile w/black grout

Hi.. I have laid my 1" inch hex tile 48 hours ago and now want to grout it. I am leaning towards going with the old fashion look and would like to use either a black or grey grout against the white tile. However, I am a little hesitant because I don't want to stain the 1" unglazed tile. I have read that a grout release agent sponged on 30 min prior to grouting might help prevent staining???? Also, not sure what the difference is between sanded and unsanded.. and shpould I use one with a modifier? Thanks!!!!!!

Jon
jburrows500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Jon,
If you are looking for a 'vintage" appearance, then go with either "Natural Gray" or "Antique White" grout. ""Bright White" or "Snow White" grouts will work also but they often come out *too* clean looking to give the "vintage" effect. Sanded grout is better in this application than non-sanded. A grout release will help a lot, but make sure not to be too sloppy with it so that it gets into the joints also.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
jburrows500

So you would go an antique white or gray for that vintage look rather than a black... For some reason I had black in my mind as being the color to go with... maybe it was gray that I saw that just got darker with age. I'll go with your advise. The grout lines are very thin.. what is the difference and advantages/disadvantages with going with a sanded vs non sanded grout??? Thanks!
Unread 12-05-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hello Jon,
Long before grout came in a variety of colors, there were two choices for any installation. These were either white or grey. This is because the tile would be set into either white or grey Portland cement, with the cement pushing up through the joints, and then fine silica sand would be broadcast over the tile and worked into the joints. This method is rarely used now as modern grouts are far superior to simple Portland cement and offer a wide range of colors to suit the application. What is often mistaken for "black" is actually grey portland cement and the "Antique White" is usually just age-stained white Portland cement with an off-white silica sand.
Hope that helps you make your choices?,
Shaughnn
Unread 12-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
jburrows500

Shaughnn,
Your explination made perfect sense... I am off to HD to buy the gray sanded grout and will do it later tonight... Thanks again! Much appreciated!
Unread 12-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
jburrows500

Shaughnn, Just finished... No problems to speak of... never used the grout release for fear it would fall into all the grout lines and present problems down the road.. Just worked in small 3x3' areas, and cleaned up as I went.. overlapped the new area w/old and was done in less than 2 hours. Did final wash and buff with dry towels (wife wasn't too hppy with the taking of old bath towels.. oh well) . Looks good. Thanks for your advise.. much appreciated.
Unread 12-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Jon,
Glad I could be of help. It's what keeps me interested and involved with this forum. Well, that and the three weeks of unpaid vacation John gives us every year.
Shaughnn

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase