Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
BT

Atlas concorde porcelain tile - ridge beige 12x24 cracks while cutting

Hi,
Im having a difficult time cutting this tile. Straight cuts will work ok with my sigma. Any cut that I need to use my grinder or wet saw the tile will break. Seems like there is a lot of tension in the tile. I have tried everything I know to do. Scoring, cutting half way through, new blades on dewalt saw, and grinder. Is there any other methods I should try?
Could the tile be defective? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Thanks
Brian
Unread 01-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
speed51133

was it out in below zero temps and still cold when cutting?
Unread 01-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
BT

No. Had it inside overnight. Cut it in the garage. Probably around 35°
Unread 01-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Brian.

This would be the tile in question?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
BT

Yes.
Unread 01-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

When grinding, or even with a wet saw, the cutting point can get quite warm. Is there any way you could bring the tile inside where it's warmer and try cutting there? I made the mistake of using warm water in my wet saw basin once when the tile were cold...broke the tile on a cut. Worked better once the water cooled off.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

I don't think the tile is defective. I have used it in the past and just found it tricky. That Atlas stuff is pretty hard. I'm also guess it's under a lot of internal pressure. Because of this, it can be a bit finicky to cut.

When using the wet saw, I found the best method is two run a light pass in both directions to score the tile first. I will also do a plunge cut at the far end. Finally, I will cut through the tile in 1 or 2 additional passes. The scoring and plunge makes sure that if the tile breaks it will follow the line. It also keeps a straighter line. I think there is a video called the "Dewalt Dip" or something like that you can watch.

The grinder is fairly similar in that you just want to go fairly slowly (score) and in a method that you think will minimize breaking.

With the snapper (Montolit in my case), cross cuts weren't too bad. Longer rips could be a coin toss. I ended up doing the majority of the cuts on the wets saw if I remember correctly.
Unread 01-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
speed51133

you can try warming up the tile and the water.

the internal stresses in the tile might be able to be relieved by putting them into an oven, baking them, then just turn off the oven and let them cool as slowly as possible inside the oven. basically an annealing process. not sure if this would damage the finish or color of the tile and you would likely have to heat the crap out of the tile for it to be effective (like 800F or so).

If you are feeling like experimenting, try a tile in your oven at like 400 for 30min, then just shut off the oven and let it sit over night in there.

How many tiles do you need to cut?

See if there is a lot number on the box. Try some tiles from a different lot. They were probably taken out of the kiln too soon.....
Unread 01-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #9
BT

Thanks for all your responses. I finished the job up last week. I burnt the back of a few tiles with thinset and cut them with the grinder the next day without them breaking. It was only a couple of L cuts. Like 2 1/4"x7 3/16.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase