Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
SmallTownGirl

Altered Grout Color/Various sized Grout Joints

I hired a flooring company to install 664 square feet of 6" X 24" glazed, porcelain, wood look tile using 3/16 spacers and Merkrete D145 Mocha grout color. The tile has been installed and I am one unhappy customer. The installers altered the grout color. I believe they used acidic cleaner. I saw some at the jobsite. The owner of the flooring company said they only used water. Also, the grout joints are various sizes. Some are as small as 2/16 while others are as large as 7/16. I took 48 random sample measurements of the grout joint widths. 32 of the 48 measured, are 5/16. I am considering demanding a demo and reinstall of the entire floor. Am I being unreasonable? I am in dire need of the opinions of all you pros out there
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Gozo

Welcome. Sorry youíre having a problem. Unless the tiles are meant to have a rustic look and are different sizes, the grout lines should be uniform. Give or take maybe 32nd of and inch or so with the size spacing youíre wanting. More than 1/16 at that size is going to look sloppy.
Grout often winds up a bit lighter than expected, especially if mixed too wet or cleaned up too aggressively with too much water. Yours looks way lighter than the glob for reference.
On the tear it out and do it again part. Well, Iím a bit of a perfectionist. Iíd not accept what youíre showing. Hopefully your contract states some standard of uniformity in the parameters of the install. Most donít. Something about in a workmanlike manner or to industry standards may be there but thatís kind of vague. The amount of extra grief depends on your tolerance for a fight and the installerís desire to give a positive customer experience.
Keep us informed.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #3
SmallTownGirl

Thanks for the input, Jeff. Come on, guys...I want your opinions...please send me your reply!!!
Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
Kman

Kimmy, I moved your thread over here to the advice forum where it's likely to be seen by more people than just the pros that frequent the hangout.

Even if you wanted to be generous and allow 1/16" as a variance for the joint sizes, going from 1/8" to 7/16" is way too much. At the very least, they should be replacing some of the tile to reduce those wider joints to the proper size.

Do you have any tile left over so you can compare their sizes and see how much they vary, if any?

The grout color is completely out of whack, though. I've never used that brand, and some of them seem to be more prone than others to washing out. If that was your only problem, I'd tell you to look into a grout stain to get the color you want rather than removing the grout altogether.

Hopefully you can come to a successful resolution with the installer. Does he work for a retailer, or was he recommended by the retailer, or did you hire him completely on your own? Who supplied the tile and grout?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Just In Tile LLC

Kimmy, based on your three pictures I do see a compelling argument of poor workmanship, but do you have any picture of something overall as well?

I guess three zoomed in pictures that equate to 9 square inches of a job isn't enough for me to agree on a retile of another tradesman just yet.

Taking what you've presented at face value, yes I'd agree it looks bad.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase