Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #16
Mbro

I purchased the Kerdi shower book and the 2 others suggested by John. Great info.

So, getting ready to attack the 60x32 inch concrete floor with box out drain.
General plan is to first flatten the area with SLC and then fill last 4-5 inches of box out with deck mud up to new flat surface. Just have a few question before moving on. Appreciate any thoughts on the following:

Using a 50 inch straight edge checked flatness in the shower area and no more than 1/8 to 1/4 waviness as I check across the perimeter. Same checking width and length of area. Also noticed a little efflorescence along back wall. I had in slab pipe burst 7+ years back under old shower pan. We abandoned all slab copper and installed whole house overhead pex. Slab looks nice and dry. I've read here that vinegar will remove this? Do I need a moisture test?

I purchased some Mapei self leveler plus and primer T from Lowes over the weekend. Read everything I can and it looks straight forward. Instructions on primer says to cut 1-1 primer with water for concrete substrate. Seems like I want uncut primer to facilitate flow? Anyone have any experience with this leveler? Any gotchas? Should I invest in porcupine roller or am I overthinking this?

If this makes sense then I will let SLC cure and protect it while I move on to Kerdi Board for the walls. I've read here that strategy is to perform the wall work before the pan. Should I bring Kerdi board down as far as I can on studs to floor then trim shower pan later to fit or only bring board down to final height of shower pan? Latter seems difficult to try and wedge shower pan in after walls are up.

Can I use drywall shims to true Kerdi board on walls or wet shim?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #17
rmckee84

1. I dont think you'll need a moisture test in this case.
2. What flow are you trying to facilitate with the primer? The primer is rolled onto the slab then once the drying time is observed the slc poured over it.
3. Porcupine rollers are usually best served for use in large areas.
4. Whatever is easiest for you. It is nice to to be able to work the walls without walking all over the pan. Doing the pan first can be done if you adequately protect it.
5. Yes drywall shims can be used.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Mbro

Thanks for the quick reply Ryan. Much appreciated

1. I dont think you'll need a moisture test in this case.
Good news.

2. What flow are you trying to facilitate with the primer? The primer is rolled onto the slab then once the drying time is observed the slc poured over it.

I had read some horror stories in reviews at Lowes about some bad outcomes with SLC pours. Mapei tech folks said primer aids in proper flow of SLC. Some folks bypassed the step. Some didn't add enough water to SLC mix. Do you have any thoughts on diluting the primer? I suppose best to follow manufacturers instructions.

3. Porcupine rollers are usually best served for use in large areas.
Good, saves me more $$

4. Whatever is easiest for you. It is nice to to be able to work the walls without walking all over the pan. Doing the pan first can be done if you adequately protect it.

I'll give that some thought. The dip in the center makes it more challenging. Can't just lay a blanket and plywood down on it.

5. Yes drywall shims can be used.
Thanks. More good news.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #19
Mbro

Mapei instruction for Self Leveler Plus is "provide expansion joints around perimeter of room". What is best material for this? Should I remove it after the pour? I'm pouring the SLC first then setting my Kerdi pan on top then Kerdi board around the perimeter. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #20
rmckee84

Foam sill sealer
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #21
Mbro

Thanks rmckee84.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #22
Mbro

My wife has picked out from, Floor Decor, a 12x12 Kayan River mosaic, natural slice stone, tile for the floor of the shower. This will be installed over Kerdi shower pan. My questions/observations

1) Fairly large gap between stones. Does it take a different technique to install vs. porcelain tile?

2) It's a little dull when not wet. Person at store says to apply sealer to make it shine. Is this necessary?

3) Any other issues, recommendations, caveats, what have you when installing and maintaining this product?

As always, thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #23
Mbro

Kerdi installer San Diego

Due to day job I'm not getting enough time in on my DIY shower project. Need to finish this up. Everything done but the Kerdi in the shower and tile install. Does anyone know good installers in San Diego area?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase