Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
jlogan

Can you install Shower wall tile short of the ceiling?

I've seen pictures of wall tile behind tubs and above sinks where the tile doesn't run all the way to the ceiling.

Could this be done in a shower area on 3 walls? My only reason for doing it is I like the contrast from tile to bare wall. I'm not confident that it's a good idea in terms of waterproofing, although I will be redgarding the walls and would also use clear caulk on the exposed edge of the tile where it stops. I should say I'll be having a professional install the tile.

My shower remodel will be 5'x4' with the shower head on one of the 4' walls. Ceiling is sloped from 8' down to 7' on the 4' wide walls while the 5' long wall is only 7' high. The other 5' length is the entry to the shower with a 6' stub wall 30" opening. The stub wall would be completely tiled.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Jerry.

You can certainly do what you're proposing, provided you get the tile up to the height of the shower head.

What I would recommend is that you prime the area within the shower above the tile and use a good quality paint. The reason being, you may occasionally have to clean some mildew up there, and you don't want to use a cheap paint that will come off inadvertently with some mild scrubbing.

Install a good exhaust fan, and let it run for a few minutes after each shower use. A timer switch works well for that. You want good air floor into the shower area that will allow it to dry as quickly as possible.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

There are ceiling fans you can buy that have moisture sensors in them that will ensure the fan is run when it should be, and then turn off once things dry out enough. The wall switches work, but require things to get a bit moister before they turn on. If you're reliably able to remember to turn it on and then off again, it's not needed, but most people switch it off when they leave, and that often isn't enough. AN alternative is a timer, but depending on use, may run longer than needed, or not enough.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
jlogan

Can you install Shower wall tile short of the ceiling?

Thanks to the both of you. Both answers help me out.

I'll be painting the exposed areas with Behr Premium Plus (2 coats) from 6'6" on up.

I do have a 70cfm fan installed above entry to the shower but like the idea of a motion/humidity sensor fan. Might change that up.

Thanks again.
J. Logan
Old 03-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
Gozo

A motion sensor might get a bit annoying, with it going on every time you walk into get a towel or wash your hands. The fan mounted humidity sensors are great, but I havenít found an option to manually turn on the fan for odor elimination with that. The wall sensors usually have both options but the humidity has to make it from the ceiling to the switch level. No perfect option, but what ever you pick, do make sure you can pull the humidity from the room.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Since most fans are both for venting humidity and odor, I install these. Clients love them.

Poke it when you enter and walk away when you're done. Coupled with Panasonic quiet fans it's the shizzle.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-M...1-WH/100652547

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 03-20-2018 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Changed link
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #7
jlogan

Quote:
Carbidetooth
Since most fans are both for venting humidity and odor, I install these
Hmmm...good thought there. That's usually what I do with my manual in the morning, except that I have to go turn it off before I leave the house for work.

Oh and small world Carbide, I'm from Boise too.

J. Logan
Old 03-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
t2jeff

I also installed the timer switch shown above in both my bath remodels. We love them. We set it to run for an hour after each bath/shower.......set it and forget it!
Old 03-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I look at it this way...you've likely paid to condition the air in your home, either by heating it or cooling it...so, I prefer to use a switch that shuts off when the conditions are right verses some fixed time, which, generally, is set for the worst case problem, if that even is considered.

There are at least a few moisture sensor control switches, but the most effective ones are included IN the fan verses on the wall, since they ceiling mounted fan version can respond much quicker.

Throw in the consideration that not everyone will be consciences about first turning one on manually, or remembering to turn it off (eventually), and the automatic versions start to look even better. The things can be turned on manually, if you want to just vent odors, but again, they still turn themselves off eventually in case you forget.

I've had good luck with the one branded by Panasonic, but that switch is made by another company, and may be cheaper through them.
Attached Images

Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I think it rather depends on how sensitive the sensor is - fan mounted or wall mounted. I imagine they are not all created equal. Also a factor is where the fan is located in relation to the shower. Ideally it would be within a few feet (is there a code requirement for exhaust fan placement relative to the shower?). If it isn't there's going to be a lot of humidity pumped into the room before the sensor wakes up the fan.

I think I'd rather have the air moving prior to it being laden with moisture.

Jeff - that Lutron timer; can you set the default time so that you don't have to toggle through all the choices each time to get the one you want?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
t2jeff

Yes, you set the Lutron timer for length of time just once. Everytime you turn it on after, it defaults to that set time length, but you can override it (or change it) at any point.

It also looks very good installed, blends in with the other light switches.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Thanks Jeff. I figured that the default time could be set, but confirmation is welcomed. The fan switch will be installed next to the electronic shower valve controller so pushing that button, then the fan button, is about as painless as it can be.

I have a number of Lutron push button switches and dimmers installed. They make good products.

Sorry about briefly high jacking your thread Jerry!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase