Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
Chairandy

Prefered underlayment for bathroom recommendation..

Need to add !/4" underlayment to bathroom floor (over 3/4 ply t &G over I joist at 16 oc)) that will be tiled and would like suggestions regarding what is the best material to use. Cement board / plywood hardi backer?? I have an issue with height and want to stay at 1/4' ... if I use cement board with thinset etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If your subflooring and joist structure is sufficient, 1/4" cbu will work, but it will end up slightly more than 1/4" because of the required thinset underneath it.

Ditra would be less than 1/4" (closer to 1/8"), but Ditra XL would be close to that 1/4" once installed.

It's almost impossible to find 1/4" ply that is qualified to work underneath tile.

1/4" Wediboard could be used, but again, it might end up slightly over 1/4" (well, the stuff is actually metric, so I'm not sure!).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Chairandy

Leveling large wall tile ...

This my first tile installation with 12 X 24 tiles on floor. I plan on using levelers and back buttering tiles. Is this standard procedure? Also, shower wall tile is 3 X 12 applied to 1/2 inch kerdi board, Is it recommended to self level these tiles also?

Thanks for your response....
Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

For optimum bonding, except maybe for small tile, is to back butter each prior to installing on the surface. The difference in bond strength can be huge, depending on technique.

If your surface is perfectly flat and smooth, you can use a thin layer of thinset, the tile can't be pushed into the thinset very far and it will be easier to keep everything level. But, reality sets in, and you normally need a bit more thinset, and the larger the tile, even a slight error in setting it can make one edge sit higher than another. Plus, larger tile often have a slight (or significant) bow in them, requiring a deeper layer of thinset. IMHO, the larger the tile, the more useful a leveling system is. You can certainly do it without, but it takes more skill and time to achieve good results.

You can use it on smaller tile. When used properly, you should end up with about as perfectly flat surface as possible with the tile used (not all tile are perfectly flat!).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Andy,

On tiles as small as 3/12 I would not bother with edge leveling systems. I need to define "level," though, as opposed to flat or even. The so-called edge leveling gadgets even out the surface from tile to tile. They don't "level" anything.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Kman

Andy, let's keep all questions related to this project on this thread so that questions and answers aren't duplicated, and the history is in one place.

I would use a leveling system for the larger tiles, but not on 3x12's. You should be able to get them pretty flat if your wall is flat.

On the 12x24's you'll find it a bit more difficult to keep everything flat. If you try to build up low corners with mortar, the tile will tend to settle into the mortar due to the weight. That's where the leveling system pays off.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase