Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
SelmaElias

Difference b/w impregnator & penetrating sealers?

Hello
Im wondering if there is a difference between impregnator sealers and penetrating sealers. I just had basic ceramic subway tile installed in my shower, with light grey, non-sanded grout, and I now need to seal the grout (at least I think I do). I read on one site impregnator sealers will darken grout color more than penetrating sealers. Is this true? On another site, I read impregnator and penetrating sealers are the same thing. Im a little confused, so I turned to this helpful forum. I love the current color of the grout now, and would like to avoid darkening, if possible. Any suggestions on what product and brand I should use to minimize darkening of grout? Thank you in advance.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
stu rosen

They are the same-to be an impregnator it has to penetrate. Their are many different formulations made today that will have different rates of penetration based on the product and the surface your trying to protect. Sealers can react differently at times so its best you test yourself. For grout lines a solvent based carrier may work better. Any brand name will be fine-so many to chose from.Your subway tiles aren't porous but the grout doesn't hurt to seal-when you think about it what will stain the grout on your shower walls.As far as the shower floors, any staining there will come from soap film and or moisture. Sealers have their place for sure just slightly over rated.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
SelmaElias

Thank you for your insight, Stu. Yes, I don't need to worry about staining. It's a shower/tub set up, so I'd only be sealing the walls. I thought I would need to do this to help increase water resistance, and therefore reduce water from penetrating the grout. Are you suggesting sealing for water resistance might not even be necessary? Just curious ...
Old 02-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Over rated is exactly right. Most people think that if they seal tile and grout, it'll block all moisture and stains. In a kitchen, the sealer will usually give you time to get a spill cleaned up before staining happens. You can seal your shower if you want but the waterproofing is, or should be behind the tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
SelmaElias

Thank you both so much. If I'm understanding you correctly:
- repeated water exposure to unsealed grout doesn't mean the grout will dissolve overtime (or lead to mold issues).
- it doesn't matter if water soaks the grout because most of the waterproofing efforts are taking place behind the tile.

Correct on both?

Sorry for my ignorance.

THANK YOU!!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Correct. Grout will turn dark when it gets wet, some colors more than others.

It's not normal for grout to dissolve just from water exposure.

Having plenty ventilation helps dry the bathroom out and less chance of a mold problem. Like Stu said, soap film is where mold likes to grow so keeping it clean helps.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
SelmaElias

Wonderful, thank you again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase