Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
SchluterKing

Existing Shower Grout/Caulk Questions

Hello Everybody!

Well, here's the shower; from a distance, it looks okay. Previous owner DIY.

If you'll notice in the corner, the grout is beginning to pop.
Would you suggest that I cut out the grout from the plane changes and caulk instead? But not the bottom, something stupid happened there.

In my previous remodel, I used the best caulk I could find, wish I could remember the brand, and I caulked over the grout in the corners; three years later, the caulk and the grout were still as day one.

Now at the bottom of the accent tiles on the back wall, apparently there was a defect in the wall that no one bothered to fix, but instead opted to tile over it, and left a huge gap between the wall and floor tile. That grout stays wet considerably longer than the rest of the shower. I'd like to either seal it, or caulk over it with color match.

I'm going to reseal all the grout anyway, caulk first then seal? Or seal first then caulk?

What say yee?

How's it goin' CX?
Attached Images

Disclaimer:
I could always be wrong...
SchluterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The changes in plane should have caulk, most like to use matching silicone. But the grout needs to be removed before doing that.

If you have an area of grout that stays wet longer than other areas, I don't see sealing it is going to help.

I thought for sure you were going to complain about the mosaics on the back wall having waves in it. That's the first thing I noticed.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Dean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
How's it goin' CX?
CX is doing well, best he can tell. 'Bout ten years older, but not much to be done about that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
SchluterKing

Hello Davey / CX.

Like CX I'm 'bout ten years older now, the joints are hurting (pun intended).

Yup, no sense in me bringing up the first thing you're going to notice anyway. I don't know why, but the wave in the wall is there.

If I had to guess, the DIYer didn't know enough to flatten it out before gluing up the tile. Or... it he did, but it didn't dry enough before he glued up the tile and pushed it in. Some DIYers tend to quit while they're ahead rather fixing their mistakes, not all.

I'm not digging out 1/2" of grout (at it's widest), I'm afraid of that can of worms. I'm going to seal that grout with some fine sealer and hope it stays dry. Can you name a fine sealer.

I've had good results from 511 Porous Plus Penetrating Sealer.
Unless I hear a better idea that doesn't involve excavating my shower.

The grout in the vertical corners will prolly fall out by itself.
Attached Images

Disclaimer:
I could always be wrong...
SchluterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Dean, tile sealers aren't really designed to hold back water, at least they won't for very long. Sealers are made to breathe and actually will allow water to penetrate, then let it dry back out. They are designed to block stains more than blocking water. You can try the sealer, the 511 is a good one but like I said before, it's not a long term fix.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase