Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
Obo2

i would just cut out some of the water damaged drywall.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Viewing the bottom of the shower from below may or may not help identify where the leak is actually coming from, but it is a minimally invasive way to start. Water can travel a ways, and will take the path of least resistance, so it may not be where you see the water damage. Paying a plumber to open up the ceiling is not the best use of his time, so if you're able to do that, would save you paying him big bucks for that simple task.

Are there any signs in the room with the shower of where moisture might be coming from, such as:
- the wallboard is wet
- grout lines dark, implying things are damp
- the floor is wet
- the back side of the wall in adjacent rooms shows damage upon close inspection (if so, you might poke a hole in there as well)

You can usually take the handle and trim off of the shower valve and see at least a little bit behind to help identify whether the water may be coming from the plumbing.

A small inspection camera with a fiber optic cable doesn't have to cost a fortune (a really nice once does, though!), and you can make a smaller hole to look things over with one.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Like the others said, cutting a hole from below might or might not help. Usually with plywood, the most damaged area is likely where the leak is at. But, if left long enough, the damaged plywood may extend under the whole shower, making it hard to trace.

I was talking about a picture of the plywood from below. I'd cut out a section of sheetrock about 24x24 to start with.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase