Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
workhurts

Acrylic ceiling

Didn't want this to get lost in the other thread and it's a more generic question.

Has anyone ever installed a custom cut acrylic sheet instead of tiling a ceiling? Thinking about ways that would be installed and the benefits (in a steam room application).

Why not tile? Changing light fixtures and dealing with plumbing issues would be a pain plus too much tile would make things look like a cave. Figured a painted ceiling with an acrylic sheet somehow siliconed at the edges would potentially work.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
rmckee84

I haven't, but it wouldnt be too difficult.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
workhurts

I'd probably have to do 2 sheets. Was thinking about how to seam them together without looking horrible.

Seems like a much simpler solution than tiling and you get to maintain a consistent ceiling color from the waterproof area to the rest of the bathroom.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Ali.

What kind of acrylic sheet are you referring to? The 1/6" thick, flexible sheets you can purchase from home centers? Or the 3/8" thick stiff man-made panels made from crushed marble/granite/acrylic that are sometimes referred to as cultured marble?

Old 02-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
workhurts

The clear stuff. So similar to the stuff at the big box stores but custom cut. The ones I see online are 1/8th. About $120 for a 62"X 48" sheet of which i would use two.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg

Oh, that stuff. I'd really hesitate to use it because the clear silicone drops or beads you used to adhere it would stick out visually like a sore thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workhurts
...and you get to maintain a consistent ceiling color from the waterproof area to the rest of the bathroom.
If this is a steam shower application, the ceiling is separated from the rest of the room, so I'm kinna failing to see how the lack of color consistency from inside the shower to outside the shower is a concern. In fact, most tile looks different from the rest of the walls in the bathroom on purpose. So, isn't the difference in color something of a good thing?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
workhurts

Valid questions.

I was thinking about 'adhering' the plexiglass/acrylic mechanically instead of silicon to support 90% of the weight. Something like recessing standoff mounts. Was only going to use silicon on the edges to keep moisture from getting behind the sheet. If that looked atrocious, I was planning on using a 2" strip of opaque film around the edge of the sheet to hide the silicon.

The wall/door between the bathroom area and steam shower is full wall to wall and floor to ceiling glass. At least that's the idea.

I will already have two colors of tile. One color on floor and back wall. One color on side walls. Didn't want to introduce a 3rd color on the ceiling. Concept is to make the room not completely look like two different rooms.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg

The acrylic will droop with only perimeter support.

And keeping moisture condensation from between the acrylic and the ceiling is going to be impossible in a steam shower application.

I agree that the ceiling should not attract attention. I'd use the tile closest to the complimentary color of the painted walls for the ceiling.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #9
workhurts

Acrylic will be supported with standoffs throughout the piece. Maybe 4-6 a sheet and then silicon the edges. Droop should it be an issue. Depends on thickness I'd spec.

Vapor getting behind the acrylic would be a problem though. Why do you think silicone application to the perimeter isn't sufficient for a residential, a dozen times a year type usage? Is there some other material that would seal better or do you think there will be a failure in coverage or a failure with usage?

I started thinking about this more when I was on vacation. Stayed at a renovated 200 year old cottage that had the original wood walls in the bathroom. They covered them in plexiglass and siliconed along the edges. Granted not a steam shower but it was cool seeing the original material protected but still usable.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase