Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
AnnLM142

Should tile be cleaned before using Flexcolor CQ grout?

Tile is installed throughout my small home and the spaces between them cleaned of whatever was used to lay them, but the tile tops are filthy. I understand that the first step with Flexcolor CQ is to wet-wipe the tile section you're about to grout and the mfgr. emphasizes keeping sponges clean, so I imagine the tile tops must be clean before starting... is this correct? If so, should I insist, even if I have to clean it myself? Is a general spray cleaner okay? No sink or warm water yet, just cold water from the main line.

Ooops, is warm water needed for the immediate clean-up as the grouting is being done?

Thanks, Ann
Old 01-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If the tile aren't clean, you may have a much harder job of cleaning things up after the grout is installed, especially if any of that dirt may be thinset.

You don't want to get a cleaner in the gaps that will need to be grouted, as it could mess some things up. I'd first try a damp mop and see what things look like. If that doesn't clean things up, come back for plan B.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
AnnLM142

Thanks, Jim. Glad you mentioned not using cleaner.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
Obo2

Vacuum with both the floor brush and then crevice tool and then wipe down with damp sponge rinsing frequently.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
AnnLM142

Guess it's not a good idea for me to do any of this, as then I'd be responsible if there was any problem.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Kman

Definitely not. Let the installer do his job, provided he's not doing something glaringly wrong.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

I would ask the installer if he has ever used flex color CQ. Its not like normal grout at all.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
AnnLM142

Karl: Of the two guys doing most of the tiling (GC and one he defers to on tile), one has never used it (GC) and the other has used it once. I copied excerpts from the entire Flexcolor thread with others' experiences and tips and (gently) offered that "in case they might be interested"... the GC was openly resentful... I highly doubt they'll look at it.

For myself, even when experienced in an area (not construction!), I've actively sought out info from peers and in general gathered all the info I could find when embarking on a project. I'm retired now, but I take that approach in non-work matters too.

I so admire the pros on this forum who take the time to exchange info/advice/ideas, want to stay updated and improve their knowledge and skills. It's a self-motivated continuing education program for tiling experts!
And you are also generous in helping others.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Ann, good job doing your homework to get the best results. Yes, the contractor should clean the tile before grouting, regardless of the type of grout used. Whatever is on the tile mixes with the grout as it gets pushed into the grout joints. When I install Flexcolor, I clean the tile the night before with water and then allow it to dry. A quick wipe with a damp (not wet) sponge and the tile is ready to grout. Cleaning the grout as you go instead of letting it sit and then coming back to clean it later is the important difference between Flexcolor and a cement grout. Feel free to call our number below or have the GC or installer do so if you need any additional info about the product or process.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
AnnLM142

Dan, Belated thanks. I read your post earlier but didn't acknowledge it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase