Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
adamwsmith1980

Shower Pan on Concrete Slab with Concrete Curb

Hey Everyone!

New to the forum. Used to do construction back in the day and have experience in just about everything. Times and products have changed since I have been in the field (15 years) so I'd love your help and expertise.

I bought a house with an unfinished basement last summer and am just about ready to start the bathroom. I've not done a shower pan over an existing slab and haven't done a concrete or brick curb. Everything I've read online either points to a traditional liner over the concrete curb with diamond mesh then mortar over that, or kerdi over everything.

Here is my goal, do this the cheapest (cost wise not quality) way possible. My buddy in Seattle who does kitchen and bath remodels only uses Wedi, but I am on a budget. What is the cheapest system to use? I believe I need a modified thinset to get my pan to adhere.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Adam
Old 12-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Adam.

Cheapest route is the traditional PVC liner on the floor, 6-mil plastic on the studs, and cement board on the walls. In the Liberry there are complete instructions, and you can ask any questions you have right here on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I believe I need a modified thinset to get my pan to adhere.
Not sure what you're referring to here.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
adamwsmith1980

Thanks Kman! I mean for my preslop material to bond to my slab won't I need a modified thinset of some kind? I read somewhere that you want the drypack to be able to adhere to the slab.

Found some useful info in the Liberry. So pan liner then cement board on the walls. I've never used redgard. Is that what you'd recommend over the cement board?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Adam. For a traditional pan liner installation you'll need a mud preslope under the pan liner. The preslope will need to be bonded to your slab and then once it sets up, the liner is laid in place but not bonded to the preslope. The only job of the preslope is to give the liner slope to the drain. The liner is clamped into the 3 pc clamping drain and then a second mud bed goes on top of the pan liner.

But, yes, the mud preslope is bonded to the slab with modified thinset.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
adamwsmith1980

Thanks Davy! So just put a skim coat down and that's it?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
Kman

A small-notch trowel works well. I use a 1/4" notch.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase