Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
little

Half bath remodel, some help needed with layout

So I'm ready to start tiling now that the floor has been ground and flattened. I just want to check if I'm going about the layout the right way. First, should the tiles be running perpendicuar to the long walls like in the picture or other direction. The second is the transition to the carpet. Should I be using a marble threshold here or do they make something else that will work just as well and look good. Last question, I'm pretty sure I need to hold 1/3 overlap with this size tile correct?
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
rmckee84

1. Its really up to you
2. Schluter makes a metal profile transition or you could stretch the carpet use a z strip and not have a transition. Its hard to see what you have right now where the carpet stops. If you want to use a marble threshold you can but there are other choices.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
little

How should I setup the stagger of the tile? If I set it up exactly how I have pictured with the first full tile at the doorway, starting another full tile for the the opposite wall gives me exactly 8" of overlap (little more than a 1/3rd) and works perfect. The only thing by doing it this way is the overlap pattern will be offset in the room and not have the offset of the tile being base off the center of the room. Am I overthinking this or will that not be noticeable?

Last edited by little; 12-30-2017 at 10:19 AM.
little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jim,

If you continue your 8 in. offset clear through and arrange it right you'll only have one smaller cut in the doorway. That's the way I would do it. The way you have it laid in the pic would be wrong and noticeable probably.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
wwhitney

Another option is to pick the offset based on avoiding any small tiles in the doorway. Then just maintain that offset in the whole space, even though that means half of the rows won't have a full tile.

But you need to figure out the doorway transition first, which will determine the offset you need in the doorway. If you end up using a threshold (marble or otherwise), then the required offset for avoiding small tiles in the doorway area will be a lot closer to the "one full tile in each row" offset in the rest of the room.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 12-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
little

John, not sure I follow exacty. I think i didn't clarify in the picture , the tiles at the far wall would remain full tiles but the tile going towards the door wall would be cut. I just laid the tiles to see how it would work. In the pic the othe other rows have 11" of overlap as they are just butted up to the wall.

Also John where is the best place to buy your book(s)? I've been wanting to get a copy since last year when I was tiling my basement
Old 12-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
little

Here is what I think has to be done. If I take the centerline of the width of the room, then start the stagger 4" on either side of that mark I would have a centered pattern running down the room. Doing it this way with an 8" overlap requires me to cut approx 2" off each tile on each end of the wall in the pattern as well as leaves approx a 1 1/2" piece at the door. That being said, can I go under the 1/3rds rule approx 1 15/16" to eliminate the sliver at the bottom by the door? I think that might look rather weird though with only 4 1/4" overlap. What do you think?

Also I could add a marble threshold and eliminate the sliver problem all together as I would easily gain over 2" right there but would still have to make cuts at both ends all the way down.

Here is the pattern stair stepped as well.

I also did one more stair stepped pattern using the tile that is centered in the doorway, centered in the middle of the room. This leaves a small tile by door opening but could slide down that distance from center i suppose.

Last thing. With my original plan, can't I turn one tile 90 degrees and rip it to the 4" or so to use as a transition piece instead of a threshold?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bathroom tyle layout.pdf (14.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf Bathroom tyle layout stair stepped.pdf (12.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf Bathroom tyle layout stair stepped version 2.pdf (13.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by little; 12-30-2017 at 05:01 PM.
little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jim, the stagger can be whatever lays out the best. But, every other tile should be in line.

At the top of the page you'll see a dark blue bar, click on TYW store and you'll find John's books.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
little

After all of the going back and forth we settled on a stair stepped pattern instead.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bathroom tyle layout stair stepped.pdf (12.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ok. That looks about like a 1/3 stagger. That'll look good.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #11
little

I want to tile this whole thing in one shot but I may start on the right side 2 tiles away from the wall as I have my layout lines in place and then get across the doorway plus maybe a tile. Then Ill wait 24hrs and run to the left wall. I guess the only way to tile the whole thing is by coming from the left and right walls and installing the middle tiles last.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase