Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #31
MyersFlooring

Just wanted to put an extra word in, here, for info purposes...

I've recently done a job with Mapei Kerapoxy - Frost color (white) and have had some severe yellowing. In this case, the yellowing occurs very quickly (ie. a day or two later). The tile in the shower (with daily water & away from the window) exhibits the same blotchy/non-uniform yellowing as the tile in the main bath, near a window & with no water contact (both floor and walls). Also, the grouting has been done 3 times (heated, stripped, and dug out w/ utility knife), by 2 different installers and different buckets of grout...but the same results.

The pics show some examples of the issue. A Magic Eraser has been somewhat helpful in cleaning the yellowing and epoxy stripper has helped, as well...but neither have done a great job. I've installed a fair amount of Kerapoxy in all shades, but this is the first time I've had serious problems with this kind of discoloring.

Spoke with the Mapei rep today, who had no ideas on the problem and is sending a "patch kit" (colorant) to address the issue. Considering what tileman2000 said, earlier in this thread, I'm hopeful & fairly confident that this will take care of it...but it's a "head-shaker".
Attached Images

If the Vikings were around today, they would probably be amazed at how much glow-in-the-dark stuff we have, and how we take so much of it for granted.
Jack Handy
MyersFlooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #32
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I'm no chemist,but i think these epoxies have been siliconized,and silicone does turn yellow with light.As said,the lighter colors will show it more.
And if virtually no cleaners seem to remove it it must be a chemical reaction.

I have had a laundry problem where some types of rayon get black streaks when bleach is used.And no way to remove it.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #33
Mo Anam Cara

White Grout Turned Yellow

Hello, I realize this is an older subject, but I have the same problem but after 6 months of no problems. We installed the tile over the summer. Iíve noticed most people are claiming this is happening in their bathroom. Mine is in the kitchen on a north wall. We had a first cold night of the year last night and dropped to around 13 degrees over night. When I woke up this morning I noticed the north corner of my backsplash had turned a dark yellow. I used bleach on a small section and it did remove it with a little scrubbing. I researched online and found many others have had the same issue with white grout but in bathrooms. I got mine from Home Depot. I donít remember the brand but the color was called Snow White unsanded. I use a unvented gas fireplace to warm my house that has been known to produce humidity being unvented. For some reason I feel that this has definitely to do with the atmosphere. My north wall where the tiled backsplash is gets very cold. So I am thinking the heat from the fireplace in combination of the humidity and the cold wall turned my grout yellow. I donít feel it has to do with minerals in the water used to mix up the grout, otherwise why would other areas in my kitchen not have this happen? Itís just the north wall area. I have not used any cleaners but mild dish soap and water to clean and there hasnít been much of that but a few splatters here and there. The first photo is a close up of what it actually looks like all over that North area. The second photo is the same area but a distance away. The third ishows a section I cleaned with bleach.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase