Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
Spooky Z

How to install glass tile on the outside corner of a shower niche?

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at installing tile. My intention is to install a glass/stone/metal mesh accent strip as part of a shower project. I want to install 2 shower niches in the accent line, but I am not sure how to best do the outside corners.

my plan is to cover the top and bottom edges with the tile, but I am not sure what to do with the side edges.

Won't the cut glass and metal pieces be sharp?

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Mike.

Are you using bullnose tile to trim out any part of your shower? That's typically what I use to cover up those cut edges, with a "picture-framing" type of installation.

Name:  Deco.jpg
Views: 11475
Size:  23.7 KB

You might also check out this thread for some ideas.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Have you looked at the niche pictures thread?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
Spooky Z

There isn't a photo in that thread that shows what I mean.

I can't seem to figure out how to post a photo of what I mean, so please see the attached image.

Basically I would like the niches embedded fully within the accent strip.

The problem I have is that the glass/stone/metal is staggered and will require cut pieces to be on the edges.

The accent piece doesn't have a bullnose and using the bullnose from the main tile as in a picture frame will not give the desired look.

Is there a way to polish the edges so they aren't sharp?
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Kman

Okay, what about something from Schluter to trim out the boxes?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Since you're going to have metal in there already in the features, one of the metal Schluter profiles would seem to be a very good fit into your design.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
will_b

I'm doing a glass backsplash at the moment and I researched extensively all the different ways to cut glass tile. I'm using some Schluter for the ends to hide the edges. However, if you do not want a transition piece, I think it is possible to bevel and polish the cut end to make it look like the factory ends. Make sure you use a blade specifically designed to cut glass tile, otherwise you'll get large chips and/or blowouts.

Try this video. It shows polishing a small cut glass mosaic tile back to a factory-like finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHC7lOrCoIU

As for the metal pieces... aren't those hollow on the inside? You probably don't want a cut one of those showing on the end. Can you pull pieces off the mesh and arrange them so you never have to have a cut metal tile on the end that's exposed? If you use a Schluter transition piece, it won't matter because you won't see the ends. I think I understand what you're trying to do, and a Schluter piece probably won't look good. That's my personal taste however. I would attempt to try and polish out the cut glass ends that will show, and also rearrange necessary pieces to make sure I never have a cut metal tile that's edge exposed. For a cut metal piece with a non-exposed edge, just use some hobby files to bevel it slightly and take the sharp razor edge off of it.

Aside from all that, I think you could save yourself a ton of work if you avoided the niches with the accent line altogether

Good luck.

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 12-08-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: embed vid
will_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

I usually file the edges so that they aren't sharp and then turn the piece around so that the factory edge is exposed.

Name:  2010-09-14 10.49.02.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  x Sammamish tile shower niches.jpg
Views: 6129
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0123 (Custom).JPG
Views: 1634
Size:  118.2 KB

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 12-08-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: add photos
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
jwmezzanotte

I agree with Jim.
If you dont want a trim, flip your cuts around.

Id probably just use the trim though. I think I have a picture of one I did with schluter Jolly on my fb page somewhere
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
Spooky Z

Those are some really cool trim pieces by Schluter.

Nice idea on flipping the glass pieces around to get to the factory edge. I will use that on the ends as I am going without any bullnose. I will also need to replace the first and last metal pieces with the similarly sized glass and stone pieces on the ends because as will points out, they are hollow.

Thank you all for your helpful advice. The winner of the thread is........will for this beauty which I have taken to heart and decided to follow:

Quote:
I think you could save yourself a ton of work if you avoided the niches with the accent line altogether
Old 12-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
jerrymlr1

You can cut and polish each piece by hand. Relatively easy. Just need a variable speed 4" grinder and some diamond dry pads. If you set the grinder on low speed you can start out with a 50 or 100 grit and burn the piece down to size and put a 45 on it. If the edge shows you can hit it with a 200, 400, and 800 and even 1000 and 1500 if you want. You'll find it won't take much time. The pads can be had for around $15 these days.
jerrymlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
john619

Spooky, The intent would be to also cut and flip the metal tiles so the hollow shape is not seen.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
goirish84

I am planning a similar thing with my bathroom (niche encompassed in a mosaic accent).

I may be over simplifying, but my 18" wall tiles will not be full in the corner, so my intent was to size the accent strip in such a way as to make sure I had full mosaic tiles on all edges of the accent (at the nook and the transitions) then just trim the already partial tiles further down in the corners to compensate.

The mosaics are a little over .5", so at worst we are talking about an extra .5" out of a partial tile in the corner.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase