Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
kanderna
Tiling Noob

Cleaner left white film on tile shower floor...

Hey all,

Wife used some Lysol "4-in-1" "All-purpose" cleaner on our tile shower. This is definitely not the first time this cleaner has been used, but this particular time it left a ridiculous "white film" on the floor which seems impossible to clean off/remedy.

After talking with Lysol, their recommendation was to use a vinegar/water solution, which has been ineffective to this point. Put it on, scrubbed, rinsed... nothing.

I'm at a loss here... any thoughts? One odd part is that it didn't happen to the shower wall.

Attached 3 photos. The first is almost immediately after a shower, as you can see the "white" comes through immediately as the tiles begins to dry. Second photo is a dry shower floor, third is a close-up of the contrast between the shower floor and wall.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

kanderna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
SABoyt
Tile, stone and grout cleaning and restoration

Did you have a sealer on the floor? What was it? Was it just on the grout lines or on the tiles also? Looks like the cleaner stripped out some of a sealer or topical you had applied. Just didn't get it all so it was left hazy on the surface. If you could answer the above questions i believe we can help you resolve it.
TMTrecovery.com
New and used Truck mounts
Cleaning and Sealing Trainer

ColorClad™ Premium ColorSeal Distributor
SABoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
kanderna
Tiling Noob

OK, thanks.

I'll have to check with the builder. I know all the grout was sealed throughout the entire house, as it was a condition of sale, but I'll have to check with him to see what type of sealer was used in the shower.

Will post back once I find out.
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
kanderna
Tiling Noob

Well, he didn't really know what it was for sure. He said it was a "product from Lowes." So seems like it was sealed, but hard to say with what.

Last edited by kanderna; 02-20-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
SABoyt
Tile, stone and grout cleaning and restoration

If you can locate some phosphoric acid (or grout haze remover - home depot, blue bottle), put some on a rag and wipe a few tiles. Let them dry and see what kind of result you get. Looking at the tiles i don't expect them to be acid sensitive but you might get a little fizzing reaction from the acid on the grout lines (also not likely if the sealer is still present onthe grout lines). If that cleans it up, then do the entire floor and you will be ok. If it doesn't, we might need to try an alkaline based stripper to see what happens but i think that will just release more sealer from the floor and make it harder to clean. The acid should remove the haze but not strip out any more of the sealer, giving you a clean look again and leaving some of the sealer in the tiles.
TMTrecovery.com
New and used Truck mounts
Cleaning and Sealing Trainer

ColorClad™ Premium ColorSeal Distributor
SABoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
kanderna
Tiling Noob

OK, thanks... definitely going to give that a shot.

Looked at Lowe's website... which do you recommend?

Product 1

Product 2

On another note, someone suggested Gel Gloss to my wife. Thoughts on that product?
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Stone Dude

Yikes!

I agree it looks like the sealer. I say this because youre walls are porcelain and should not have reacted this way, but they did. You can see the area where he just wiped the sealer along the wall.

I would follow Steves suggestion. If that doesnt work try mineral spirits.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

As Stone Dude mentioned, the inch of white at the base of the porcelain walls indicate it is some sort of reaction from the Lysol and the sealer or topical coating. That is a good sign since porcelain doesn't typically take affect to a product like Lysol and what your seeing is just the coating being affected which tells me it should be an easy fix and nothing permanent.

Follow the guys' advice above and let us know how that works for you.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase