View Single Post
Unread 06-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
elizhtownsend

Seal Carrara Marble Shower?

Hi -

I am having trouble getting a clear answer here, so I thought I would post a new thread for my particular situation. We just installed 2inch hex honed carrara marble mosaics on our shower floor and our bathroom floor (along with a shower niche). Wall tile is basic white subway tile. Grout is polyblend unsanded with 1/16 grout lines. I think the contractor installed the floor as follows: pre-sloped, then pan inserted, then additional sloping, then thinset/tile. My questions are:

(1) Should we seal our marble floors in the shower? I originally thought that sealing was a no brainer, but now I'm reading that the impregnating sealer (MB-24) may "trap" water in the marble, making matters worse in the shower. On the other hand, I'm also reading that carrara marble contains iron deposits that may cause rust with repeated water exposure, so I should seal it. Which is correct?

(2) If we should seal, how long do I have to wait for the tile/grout install to cure before I seal? It was grouted 1.5 weeks ago, but was exposed to water for grout haze cleaning 5 days ago.

(3) Slightly off-topic, but my contractor grouted at plane changes/corners, instead of caulking. Is that a risk for water getting under the tiles?

I'm in a bit of a rush because my in-laws are visiting this weekend and I would LOVE to not have to share a tiny 1950s guest bathroom with them

Thank you all very much!