View Single Post
Unread 01-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
dappelha

Jim--This is in my own home and I'm not planning on having an inspection. There are several threads here disagreeing if the 2" code applies if there is no curb--seems like a gray area and I'm seeing lots of curbless showers in remodels around my area without a 2" drop. I hear the clogged drain and water build up concern--but this main floor bathroom shower probably won't be used very much anyway.

The hole in the subfloor is a 5x6 oval. I read that it should be no more than 5 inches, so I was thinking I would add some blocking or strips of 3/4 OSB screwed from below to close it up more and then fill the 3/4 height difference with thinset when I set the pan. Think that will work?

Paul, the 36x48 pan I got from Schluter is about 1/4" at the thinnest part at the drain flange setting area. Still is 1" at the perimeter. Am I missing a better option?

Dan, thanks for the help on figuring out the height.

Sounds like if I match the 1 inch perimeter height of the schluter pan, I should expect a build up of 1.5" which is 3/4 difference from the hardwood. This sounds like a lot to me and a tripping hazard--isn't this too much of a difference?

Sounds like without a big transition height my options are

a) Drop the shower subfloor 3/4 inch to the joist height. Then I could skip the 3/4 plywood under the ditra and have everything meet up nicely. The joists are 2x10, 16 o.c., with the far shower wall of the bathroom resting on a steel support beam so I think ditra alone on the 3/4 OSB t.g. subfloor would be sufficient. This still gives me a bowl shaped pan that will require smaller tiles than we would like for the rest of the floor.

b). Install a linear drain at the shower threshold. Looking at Schluter products I would need a 44" drain to fit the 48" stud to stud rough opening. Anyone have any pictures of how this looks in conjunction with a frameless sliding shower door? The other part I don't understand is the depth of the drain assembly. If I want the finished tile height at the drain to be 3/4" above the subfloor, do I have to notch out subfloor and maybe also joist to bring the drain height down?? (joists are running perpendicular to shower threshold, i.e. drain)

c) Just forget about curbless and put a small curb in, say bricks cut to 3" wide and 2.75" tall. If I still used the Schluter styrofoam pan this should give about the 2" curb to drain height and I can make the main bathroom floor meet nicely with the hardwood floor height.

I like b) and c) because then I don't have all the work of dropping the subfloor, and b) would let us use the same tiles throughout the whole floor.

Thanks for your help everyone. Thoughts?