View Single Post
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jeremy.

1. Those screws are certainly available out there. CBU is fastened to steel studs alla time.

2. Yes, you need to fur out your studs to accommodate the liner, especially in the corners. Do you have metal studs because of a restriction against combustible materials in the walls, or for other considerations?

3. There is no problem with the screws penetrating your moisture barrier behind the CBU. Yes, it's counter-intuitive, but it's OK. Really.

4. The bad thing is that you didn't install the CBU before you installed your final mud bed. Best way to attach the wall board at the bottom is to trap it behind that mud. You can run the CBU close to the top of the mud and trap it behind the floor tile in your current situation, but it's not quite the same. There is no advantage to the caulking the bottom of the CBU that I can see, unless you're using that to help secure the wall board, which won't do much good, either. You do understand that you may not use any fasteners below the top of your pan liner, right?

I'm not at all sure for what purpose our new friend Jeremy (The Kid) would have you install plywood over your studs. Perhaps he will return and explain his reasoning for that.

I would recommend against doing that, favoring instead an installation in compliance with the CBU manufacturer's instructions.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote