View Single Post
Unread 07-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
jzucosky

listening to advice

I've been doing a lot of reading of old posts the last few weeks to figure out how to do my next project. It amazes me all the poor work being done and all the people who ask for advice and then argue that its too complicated or expensive or somebody told them you don't have to do it that way.
I built my house in 2005 and did all the tile which there is a lot of. I did a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions. It was on another tile web site. At the time I didn't know this one existed. People like Bill Vincent and RD tile explained the right way to do things and I listened.
I made sure my structure was strong enough then every tiled area has 1 1/4" of plywood topped with 1/4" hardibacker thinsetted down. All the tile was thinsetted. They explained how to build a custom shower and I followed their directions exactly.
The end result is that ten years later I have a custom shower that doesn't leak, no cracked or loose tiles, and no grout coming out. Everything looks the same as the day it was installed.
I would like to thank all the professionals who spend so much time trying to educate all us DIYers. I would have never done such a professional installation without their help.