View Single Post
Unread 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
Mateo

Tile sources

Hi Jeff,

First off, good catch on the Chapel Show! Good sillyness.

So the source for my tile is a bit odd. I have a streak of unchecked confidence, so when I decided to tile my fireplace, I took a trip to Mexico to find some tile. I didn't have anything in particuilar in mind, and didn't know of any locations at all. I ended up asking the hotel clerk where I was staying in Ensenada for a good tile place. He was reluctant to say, but when pushed said to go to CISCO tile -- they were very helpful and had some beautiful tile (you need to speak Spanish if you go there directly -- on their website you can get someone who speaks English, www.ciscotile.com). So anyway, I had never done this, so I didn't have any dimensions or anything. So I bought the Marco blue (darker than cobalt) and the tiny Guadalajara tiles, and that was that.

Once I started planning and doing more reading I learned about bullnose tiles, etc. and thought, uh oh, where the heck am I going to get that stuff. Long story short, I got the "skinny" Guadalajara and the bullnose Guadalajara from casatalavera.com, I cannot say they were very responsive, even after an 8 week lead time turned into an agonizing five month wait -- but once I got that thing grouted up, I decided that it was worth the wait. The cornice moulding and 1/4 round came from "Tierra y Fuego" in New Mexico. I ordered from them on three seperate ocaisions and they were always speedy and friendly.

So, as you can see, quite a hodgepodge of tile sources, but somehow it works.

Cheers

Mateo
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote