View Single Post
Unread 03-22-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Todd.

I've installed and caused to be installed a good many square feet of Saltillo in my day. Most of it we pre-finished prior to installation and then finished again a couple weeks later. The sealer of choice back then was some wonderful stuff and would require a solvent in the Keytone family to remove handily.

The occasional pre-sealed material we set had a surface that was even more difficult to remove. Not sure what it was. And we generally finished over that, including the grout, with our usual material.

In all those years I had only one large area stripped and re-finished. Sold me immediately on the fact that I would never try to do that myself. It was a large, whole house remodel and I have no idea what had been used to seal the Saltillo. Took the re-finished company most of a morning to determine what chemical or chemicals would be required to strip it. Then it took the rest of that day and half the next for them to strip the floor using two large floor machines and several shop vacuums to do the rough part and then more hours of hand work to get all the corners and such. And then they applied the new finish.

Worth every penny I paid them and more. And I cringed every time I thought about how I was actually planning to do that myself.

Only tool I recommend for finishing Saltillo is the same tool I recommend for drywall and insulation work. A telephone.

But it's not dusty!

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote