View Single Post
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jing.

Some of his argument is valid. It is difficult to maintain a smooth (lippage free) surface on large format tile over a subfloor with a compound slope. But I can't see just how or where your floor is sloped. Is the slope other than in the shower area in your drawing?

Leaving a gap like you show in your photo "to make the top of the tiles smooth because of the sloping" I find a specious argument at best. I know of no justification for leaving a gap like that in a place like that at all.

The change in layout is also not dictated by any technical reason. It looks like he started out with something less than a 33 percent offset, which is a good idea, especially if the floor was not flat (could still be flat while being sloped if so desired), with those large tiles, but it then appears he changed to something closer to a 40 percent offset, which would not be advisable under tile industry standards. Can't help you with that question at all.

He is also quite correct that repairing his errors at this point is very likely to damage a Wedi Board underlayment and/or a radiant heating system.

Gonna be up to y'all to sort all that out among yourselves. Do you have a written contract for any of this work?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote