View Single Post
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
CookieJ

Tumbled Stone Mosaic Tile backsplash question!

I am so glad I found this forum, I've been searching threads and unless I missed it I can't seem to find the answer to this question!

We are refacing our cabinets in natural select hickory, our granite will be Giallo Fiorito. The cabinets and granite are both fairly 'busy' and I want to keep the backsplash neutral as opposed to trying to compete with the wood and the granite....however I don't want boring either, so it's been a challenge to find the right tiles. It's a smaller galley-style kitchen, and our area between cabinet and countertop is only 14" tall. We found a 2 x 4 tumbled stone that we like that is a bit light in color, but once sealed/enhanced we think it will be perfect. These are meshed on a 12' sheet.

We're having the refacing and granite done professionally but we're going to do the backsplash ourselves. Our only tiling project to date is a large bay window that we did in 6 x 6 ceramic. When we had to cut the angle tiles we took them down to Home Depot and let them cut for us. For the backsplash, we know that could be hard.

Without investing in a wet saw, how do we cut these tiles?? We have to go around at least three electrical outlets, and around a copper wall mural that will go above our gas cooktop. Unfortunately the wall mural has a curved top, but I will try to avoid curved cuts, probably find a way to 'frame' it with pencil tiles or something! I found a Nattco Snap Tile Cutter on Amazon that cuts porcelain and ceramic, but will this also cut tumbled stone? If so it's worth a $40 investment, but we don't want to spend $300 on a wet saw or even rent one from HD if we don't have to. Any help would be appreciated!

Cookie