View Single Post
Unread 01-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
kschueler

Bathroom remodel - leveling floor

I am redoing a bathroom in a house that was built in 1942. There was an existing tile floor that I removed. It looks like the previous installation was done with SLC. I found a cracked Joist in the basement and have repaired it by sistering an new board. Unfortunately, at the time I did know the floor above was not flat. The floor is low in the middle by ~3/4" tapering out to 1/4 over a 4' span.

I checked the Deflecto calculator and am good for a new tile installation. I sketched up a couple different options (pdf attached).

I have had two different contractors come out to get quotes for leveling the floor (Need level for shower pan, everything else could be flat). One contractor said he would self level and then install backer board over top (Option #4). The other said he would put in wood strips, use medium set to level out then put backer board on top (Option #3). I would prefer not to use SLC so I am leaning towards Option #1, but want to make sure this is not a bad idea. Looking at doing the work myself, but want to make sure I am not doing something stupid that will cause a problem in 10 yrs.

Thank you for any advice you have.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Subfloor options.pdf (525.9 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by kschueler; 01-12-2021 at 01:59 PM.
kschueler is offline   Reply With Quote