View Single Post
Unread 01-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #51
SpaceCadet

I'll go back and check how big the gaps actually are. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the floor over these joists because there is a wall there. If I did, I would just pull the nails and replace them with screws afterward. I'm also not sure if the boards are nailed to both joists or just one and I don't think I can find out reliably. Hopefully most of the stress will be between the new sister and the old good sister, not the cracked one, and those will be flush.

Questions:
1). I've been trying to find 2x8x12 douglas fir for the sisters. No one here stocks douglas fir except home depot and I don't trust their stuff. It can be ordered but most places will only do a whole pallet. Select grade SPF also needs to be ordered. I would rather go through the effort and do it better but is this a complete waste? Place nearby has LVL 2x8x12 in stock, can I use that and would I have to work it differently?

2). I'm morbidly tempted to jack up the joists under the bathroom even a 1/4" just to put some of the strain on the new sisters and keep them from sagging more in the near future (plus straighten the floor a bit). The bathroom walls above were meticulously shimmed, shaved, and reinforced into straighteness. All the gypsum and CBU are already up and finished. Is this a bad idea?