View Single Post
Unread 10-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
A.Fox

Laz,

Are you suggesting this is an average job or a case of getting what we paid for? If the former, as someone who has seen a lot of stone floors in my professional life, even if I haven't been involved in stone restoration like this, I would consider these results less than mediocre with the finish not even extending consistently into the corners or around the bathroom fixtures and with so many tiles having inconsistent polish or scratches. If the latter, that is very well possible, which is why I asked the question. But if that is the case, I'm not sure how we would have known that going in. Obviously the best indicator was to get 3 bids, but the price we did get was in line with the rules of thumb that I had read in various places. Another way to look at it, is that we paid two people each $75 per hour to do this job; $50 if you include the time traveling to the job site. They were at our house a total of 26 hours, and in that time did 500sf of this floor, some grout staining on tile floors and walls, and ground the carpet related adhesive off of another tile floor.

I do agree that a honed surface with some sort of gloss enhancer is apparently what we did pay for, as I read into what was written on the invoice and an email where 6 step honing and 3 step water based sealer are listed but no other steps that would polish the stone. But I don't think that was adequately expressed to us. At one point during the job they even sent us a photo asking if the floor was glossy enough, and when the response was that we would prefer a higher gloss they said that they would then go up a grit. Am I not correct that "upping grit" is unrelated to a gloss sealed honed floor?

And if the issue is that to make the floor look better they would have needed to put more effort into the honing, and that would have cost more, I don't understand why that has not been stated, versus all of this talk about the sealer being at fault, and that they need to speak to the manufacturer, or that they need to dye the granite (how much blacker can Absolute Black granite get?)

Similar to that note about dyeing that now has me questioning their competence: In the same email where they explained their process, they wrote that they would not be doing any crystallization, which is what would give the stone a high polish if that were what we were after. Perhaps when that was written they forgot that we had granite on our floor too, but from what I read, if they tried to crystallize our floor the results would have been even worse.

Last edited by A.Fox; 10-26-2018 at 01:33 PM.
A.Fox is offline   Reply With Quote