View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #22
ZZZK

John, you never want to drill through the waterproofing on a horizontal surface.

Unfortunately most glazing companies/installers will drill through the curb without a second thought. This is also what many glass enclosure manufacturers will specify in their documentation. They do this because their primary concern, above all else, is that the installation doesnt come loose and cause a panel to fall and injure someone. In other words, liability. As you have seen even just 3/8" thick glass panels are extremely heavy. Some are 1/2".

The installers and manufacturers are making the assumption they can stick enough silicone in the hole and around the fastener to seal the puncture. Unfortunately acheiving a true water tight seal this way is easier said then done and there is no way to know if it is actually water tight. Often it isnt. This is a big problem because curbs see a ton of water and are often the first to fail.

My shower enclosure instructions also called for drilling long stainless screws through the top of the curb. However I did not do this. I put a stop on my drill and drilled just shy of the depth of the tile. This makes a very shallow hole that does not penetrate the waterproofing. I then cut the screws down into little stubs to fit into these holes just shy of the bottom. I also masked off the tile around the perimeter area of the bracket with tape. I also roughened the bottom of the bracket with my dremel to give the epoxy some grab. Ultimately I used Laticrete Latipoxy 310 2-part tile and stone epoxy to bond the bracket to the tile on the curb. I also stuffed the hole with epoxy to epoxy the stubby screw in place. The primary direction of force on the bracket is horizontal and so these screws act as set pins to transfer those forces to the tile. This installation depends on the tile being properly bonded to the curb with quality setting materials in order to provide enough sheer strength. This is not something glass companies or glass enclosure manufacturers can rely on hence why they want you to drill into the structure to insure the bracket is secure.

I don't know if this is stronger or weaker then the reccomended installation. Mine has held strong so far for a couple of years now with my daughter frequently slamming the door.

Other methods involve installing a glass guide channel under the tile for the glass prior to tile installation. This method is better and stronger as it distributes the forces along a larger area, but it requires some planning.