View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2021, 05:55 PM   #102
KarenA01

Thanks for the reply CX
Quote:
but I think if you're planning to tile your walls with the tile you've shown us all the way to a tile floor, you'll just use the wall tiles you have, leave a grout joint at the wall/floor intersection and fill that with a flexible sealant to match
your grout.
Seems like no one can offer any alternatives

The reason I brought it up was wondering if it is expected these days, thinking ahead for house resale value... being in our mid-late 60's, We figure we will have to sell in about 15 years ± 5 as we will no longer be able to take of it ...

What sealant would be best to minimize maintenance and best preserve looks?

I have been googling (and this forum comes up a lot), but it seems most say for change of plane in the bathroom the best is 100% Silicone caulk, though some try to get away with epoxy or urethane grout instead of caulk...

The advantage of grout (if it does not crack) is that eventually caulk needs to get replaced as it gets yucky, shrinks etc... But not cracking is a *BIG* if, and if it does, removing it would be a big issue.

From what I have read it seems 100% silicone caulk would last the longest and least likely to have mold or mildew issues, although more expensive than others ...

If so maybe I should specify it's use for all change of plane situations? It seems saving a (relatively) few dollars would not be worth more issues down the road.

Speaking of caulk, I sure hope the tiling for the current tub/shower combo was NOT done by a pro! I sure as heck would not what to hire that one!

There is tile on the ceiling in the alcove (and I want that for the remodel too) but it looks like instead of using grout they used caulk on the ceiling (I assume because it was easier?) and it's now coming down!
Attached Images

Last edited by KarenA01; 02-05-2021 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo
KarenA01 is offline   Reply With Quote