View Single Post
Unread 01-31-2021, 07:21 PM   #91
cx
Moderator emeritus

Karen, don't feel forced into anything by the tile industry recommendation of no offset of more than 33 percent of the tile dimension. That is more of a cautionary recommendation than a chiseled in ceramic rule. The tile manufacturer can recommend more or less offset, and that I would consider a maximum allowable tolerance. But the section of the ANSI standard pertaining to the offset (A108.02, 4.3.8.2) says, "If an offset of greater than 33% is specified, specifier and owner must approve a mock-up and lippage."

Once you have your tiles in hand, you, as both specifier and owner, will easily be able to determine how much of an offset you want to use with your tiles over your known substrate. It really is that simple. If you like what you see when you actually have the tiles in hand, you use any pattern you want.

1. If I understand you drawing, yes, that's a simple offset pattern.

2. No technical questions there at all. Purely customer decisions.

If you find that your tile installation is too uneven on the wall (you will have tested, yes?) for the vanity top to fit sufficiently tight against, you'll need to decide if you want to scribe and fit the top or install the top before tiling. Either will work.

It would hafta be a furniture piece I've done a couple) for me to tile the wall before installing a vanity and I'd make it look that way. If it's a cabinet, it would potentially need to have scribe strips where the sides meet the tile and I would not think that an acceptable look. You might.

All customer choices if I'm your contractor. Various price consideration might apply, but we'd first need to decide what you wanted to do.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote