View Single Post
Unread 01-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #21
SWB04

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAN
"Since two layers of plywood/OSB are required for stone, my inclination would be to remove what you have there and go back over the joists with 3/4" plywood followed by a layer of 1/2" plywood. "
Thanks Kevin.

Can anyone provide me a reference that indicates that 3/4" OSB (or in this case, LP waferboard) with one layer of either 1/2" or 3/4" Plywood would not be sufficient for a travertine install? Or is the double plywood requirement based on personal experience and "gut feelings"? Must the two layers both be plywood? And, I presume that I could reduce floor height by using either two layers of Redgard or Ditra, versus the CBU for the floor isolation membrane.

I have to pull the CBU, so I suppose I can just cut between the joists with a "saws all" and pull up both the CBU and waferboard at one time. I'm a bit concerned about nicking the joists. I assume this would be R&R wall-to-wall, closet to vanity, tub and shower over to the bathroom, reaching joists as are exposed. I'm not going to touch the already prepared shower or bath tub; too much already invested there.

However, I'm preparing this home for resale (i.e. kids are gone, nearing retirement, etc.). I'm $1000's over budget in this already. I really don't want to tear up the entire bathroom subfloor, but if that's where I have to go, it's coming out today.

Thanks again.