View Single Post
Unread 05-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
CaliGrown

How to slope for an offset linear drain?

Hi I am new here, and hope this post isn't too far off from the thread guidelines.

I am currently in the process of doing a shower pan replacement and have some questions about sloping the deck mud. The homeowner has moved the abs drain pipe over right next to the side wall toward the end of the shower with the valve and shower heads. Since there was a joist and part of the foundation blocking the path to set the drain pipe toward the most preferable location, directly against the back wall with the shower valve and heads, he decided to place it on the side wall. Given this drain location, I plan to slope the deck mud in four regions all toward the linear drain, please input any thoughts to best accommodate the sloping.

Conditions of the job:
Using a Cohen 24" Signiature Hardware Linear Drain, it's installed according to installation instructions in the 3 part drain assembly flange and has a height of above 1.5" from the base of the liner.

Using pebbles for the shower pan, they range from about 3/16" to 5/8" in thickness, game plan is to remove all of the rocks from the mesh and installing them individually to improve the tightness of the joints and improve the size and color disbursement of the pebbles.

Wall tile is a 12" by 24" porcelain laid in a staggered running bond pattern.

Current state of the jobsite; the pre slope is completed at 1/4" per foot toward the drain flange, 40 mil Oatley liner installed, I took it 8" up on all of the walls and wrapped around the curb, installed corner patches on the corners wrapping the curb, galvanized nails were used to fasten the liner on the outside face of the curb. For the walls, the previous "installer", had installed .42" hardibacker over 1/2" drywall with thin set, which didn't bond to the hardi board (trowel ridges weren't even compressed down) and only a handful of fasteners were found. I would prefer a complete replacement, but since the homeowner only wanted the pan replaced, we decided to take off the first two corses of tile and replaced the drywall and hardi board, with cement board and hardibacker to maintain the wall thickness. I left about a 1/8" space between the separate planes of the walls, and filled it with 100% silicone to act as a cold/expansion joint, next I applied three coats of red guard over the hardi board to waterproof the hardibacker. It is ready for the top deck mud, which I need help sloping...

Since using pebbles in the pan, is 1/4" per foot adequate or should I do closer to 3/8" per foot?

I plan to have the drain set 1/16" to 1/8" below the finished height of the pebbles.

Attached is a picture of the layout. What would be the best way to slope the mud? I am thinking the large middle section to slope as a trapezoid, and the two sides to slope as angled triangles and the mud behind the drain to slope as a tilted rectangle. Please leave suggestions, if any other info is needed, let me know.
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 673
Size:  65.1 KB

Thanks,
Chris
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote