View Single Post
Unread 06-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Darcy

additive to make grout more flexible?

It's always good to have an excuse to visit the most useful place on the Internet. Greetings, John Bridge people.
I am "repairing" a shower which I did not initially install or tile. It uses 4 inch glossy ceramic tiles on the walls and natural stone tiles on the floor. It's sort of hideous, but that's what we've got for now.
Previously, the plane change between the floor and wall was filled with grout. It was not cracked, but had been placed in a weird way such that there was an angle between the wall and the floor that allowed water that dripped down to sort of "hang" on the grout, which created mildew problems. The grout was not at all cracked, but needed some kind of fixing. I removed the full layer of grout and am now ready to refill the joint.
I know there is a school of thought that says fill the joint with 100% silicone caulk because of movement at the plane change. I am open to this.
I know there is a school of thought that says fill the joint with grout (only make sure the surface doesn't create opportunities for water to collect as it did before). I am open to this and because there was no cracking before I am inclined to think I could do that without too much risk of cracking.
What i am wondering is if anyone has ever modified a fairly standard cement grout (such as the Prism grout from home depot which I happen to have a box of) with Keraply or some other thinset latex additive. Is that a crazy idea or brilliant? I am open to any suggestions and grateful for your advice.
Warmly,
Darcy