View Single Post
Unread 02-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
bmiano
bmiano

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

I cannot answer all of your questions, unfortunately, because I haven't gotten clear answers from my contractor. I'm working on that.

Ryan, I am unsure exactly what backer board was installed. I am in the process of ascertaining that. I believe it may be "purple board"?

Davy, I think that he installed the thin set directly on the AquaDefense, but I'm not sure.

Jim, I don't know what kind of drain I have or even what the different kinds might be; I assume it is whatever was installed in the house when originally built 20 years ago. No issues or concerns with the stone floor outside the shower.

I made a lot of mistakes in this particular project, and it's not my first rodeo, so I know better. I got no permit, for example, and that is costing me now. I did not go with the cheapest bid, so it's particularly aggravating that it has all turned out this way.

I have read dozens of threads here and watched at least that many videos to try to understand how this shower pan should have been constructed so that I can make sure the next guy does it right. Unfortunately, there seem to be many ways to do it, and it is difficult for a lay person to know they are getting good work without trying to become an expert on the subject themselves. It at least seems advisable to make sure the work is done using compatible products from one manufacturer and to follow their directions on how to install, not just doing what the contractor likes or chooses for his own reasons.

You are correct, CX, that I contracted for a properly built shower and that is not what I have. That portion of the contract simply says: Labor For Bathroom Remodel (Install hardi boards to floors and wall where needed. Prep to tile. Frame in niche for shower. Frame in curb for shower. Waterproof shower area. Tile and grout entire floor, shower area to the ceiling, tub area,shower floor.)

I am in the process of identifying someone to take on the repair of this work, as unpleasant as that is. Feeling a bit gun-shy on evaluating another contractor accurately, as I got lots of recommendations on the guy I hired.

I am still holding out hope that the entire wall tile will not have to be removed beyond the bottom course of tile, but I am unsure if that is possible or reasonable, especially if the wallboard that was installed was not correct. I don't know if anyone will be able to remove the bottom course of travertine without removing the backer board behind it.