View Single Post
Unread 01-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Brett Lane

Unhappy Shower Tile / Backerboard / Grout Questions

I'm doing a shower remodel with cast tub and tile walls.

Q1: the cast tub doesn't have a proper flange which runs up behind the 1/2" Hardibacker, it's more of a short lip that's only about 1/4" high. The guys who installed the backerboard left a varying gap between the bottom of the Hardibacker and the tub 'lip'. Should I caulk this gap (which varies from 1/8" to 1/4" prior to installing the tile about 1/8" above the tub (which I would then also caulk where the tile / tub meet)? What about the vertical corners where the backerboard meets at 90 degrees?

Q2: I'm using 3/4" x 3/4" glass tile which comes in 13" x 13" mesh backed sheets (I know, it's not practical for shower application...but it looks great) and it has 1/16" joints. Tile manufacturer says it's possible to use either unsanded or sanded grout but grout manufacturers typically suggest using only unsanded grout on joints less than 1/8". The Mapei Keracolor unsanded grout has proven tough to get out of the small divots on the front of the tile. If I proceed with using it, are there any suggestions to getting the face of the tiles really clean?

Q3: Hired a 'professional' to install shower tile who has since been fired for doing a really terrible job on the big wall of the shower (5' x 6'). After I let him go, I realized he used Mapei Type 1 Mastic. It was only after I did my own research that I found out mastics are not supposed to be used in wet environments. Should I tear it out and eat ~ $300 in tile or carefully grout and maintain it?

Thanks for any help or advisement...

Brett
Brett Lane is offline   Reply With Quote