Thread: Shower project
View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
EricGrant23

Shower project

SO glad I found this forum! Lots of super helpful information here! I have done a couple small floors with tile over the past few years, but I am finishing my basement and will be tiling the shower down there myself. It's a 30"x60" shower pan I am using. I have a tight fit where I have framed the walls. I will be using 1/2" Hardiboard on the three walls and the ceiling. I have a few probably simple questions but it seems there are several ways to do things. I am supposed to bring the board down to leave a 1/4" over the lip of the pan, correct? Is this area filled with silicone or mortar? Then the tile gets brought down to leave a 1/4" gap over the pan, is this filled with silicone or mortar? Is there a 1/4" gap left between the panels of the walls and the ceiling Hardiboard? How about between the panels themselves? Because I have wide open access to the studs right now, I will be adding my own niche in the back wall. Is it wise to make sure these smaller pieces of board are as close to each other as possible? Sorry for all of the questions but thank you!