View Single Post
Unread 07-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
CWB

Sounds like a plan. I will go ahead and get the power hammer with 3" chisel tip and get to work. With any luck I will not end up digging too deep into the cement under the tile. I will also have to be very careful at the walls where the "baseboard" tile meets the floor. The wall & baseboard tile was put down many years later, and it looks like it is not well bonded to the floor tiles (perhaps grout only). I will take my time and try to remove the grout and pre-shatter those floor tiles by hand so large pieces do not come up and chip the walls.

By the way, you guys are great about replying quickly! It will be extremely helpful to be able to work with you real-time on this project. Just so I am prepared...
  • If I end up uncovering significant fractures in the bed under the tile, will I need to dig and replace the entire bed or can it be "patched" if I feel that the movement is old settling?
  • How can I tell if a crack is bad enough to need replacement or patching?
  • If the power hammer leaves large gouges and chunks in the floor, do I need to use a "filler coat" of concrete before the antifracture membrane, or will that material be sufficient for the job?
  • The worst case scenario is that I have to dig out the bed in the area a want to tile. If that happens and I intend to build back up the 3", what is the best method? (I have heard about issues with successive layers of wood.)

Thanks again for advice! I found your bulletin board in a desperate Google search for help, and learned quite a bit from other posts in the forum before posting my question. I hope this string helps others in their endeavors.
CWB is offline   Reply With Quote