View Single Post
Unread 02-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #19
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Mike,

I would definitely shoot for the cuts to be hidden by the vanity/door/toilet.

3/16th is large for my tastes, but joint width is rather dependent on the tile itself; how consistent they are in length and width. Carefully measure yours, several from different boxes. I believe the recommendation is that your grout joint should be 3X the difference of the variance between tiles. IOW, if the max difference in size from the smallest to largest is 1/16th, then your grout joint should be 3/16th. You could also dry lay 3 or 4 rows using 16th or 1/8 spacers and see how they fit.

Install the Ditra however it fits best.

I would opt to cut the tile on an angle at the entry way transition to avoid using a trim piece, but given your layout that would mean sliding it all towards the door 1/2 to 3/4 inch I think. Is your current tile offset 1/3rd? You could perhaps change the offset just a little. If your tile is very flat you could do a 50% offset.

By wedge kit I think you mean lippage control. I've only used the system by Spin Doctor, which I liked but have nothing else to compare it to. Many people here have experience with other systems. Some good, other not so much. Still, for someone without a lot of tiling experience these systems are very useful. I'd certainly use one gain, and plan to.

That's a rather charming old and very pink bathroom.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote