View Single Post
Unread 10-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Kay1987

Another tile over linoleum issue with tiler quitting job

Hi JB Community,

I’m new here and glad I found this forum. So I’ve got a rental house in another state with 3/4ths of a kitchen tiled (no grout) with linoleum lurking underneath. My tile guy quit. So my question to you is, what would you do?

Here’s the story:
I asked the tiler to remove the linoleum in my kitchen and bathroom before tiling. I can tell from the pics he sent that he left some linoleum down, which they’ve since tiled over. There may even be a 2nd layer of linoleum underneath. (See 1st pic).

When I asked him about it, he said they left it because it was too hard to take up. He also said there’s just a little, the size of a tile and he would remove it. Since the pics show more than a piece the size of a tile I told him I’d like to see a pic when they pull it up.

All that happened yesterday. They were really focused on getting me to choose the grout. This morning I asked them to stop the job until we had a chance to figure this out and said I’d be supervising it from where I am. Then they backed out.

Someone asked me if linoleum removal was in the contract. It was a verbal agreement that was mentioned in texts. (Normally I’m more careful but I had someone else handling it.) I was really clear the linoleum had to be removed because it has water damage and they’ve never disputed that. In fact he made it seem like getting that remaining piece up was doable.

In case you’re wondering if he left the linoleum due to asbestos or a poor subflooring, he never mentioned either. In fact, he made it seem pretty straightforward. The linoleum was installed 15-20 years ago so no asbestos there. But if there’s another layer underneath it would’ve been installed in the late 70s or early 80s, I’m guessing.

I thought maybe I could remove a strip of tiles in the middle of the kitchen and see how much linoleum is down there—or should I just grout and hope for the best? Luckily the bathroom was stripped down to the concrete.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me!

Kay
Attached Images