View Single Post
Unread 11-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
joe14580

Shower walls are a somewhat odd thickness

Hi guys,

My brother and I are remodeling his bathroom, replacing the 5' tub with a 5' Sterling shower pan. We ripped out the existing drywall on 3 walls to about a height of 78" so we could install Hardie Backer from the new shower pan to the existing drywall. The Hardie backer will butt up with against the existing drywall at a height above where the water will exit the shower head.

The existing walls throughout the entire house are 7/8" thick, consisting of 1/4 " drywall nailed to studs and topped with 5/8" drywall.

I was going to replace with 5/8" drywall topped with 1/4" Hardiebacker to achieve the desired 7/8" thickness. I was not going to put any thinset between the Hardiebacker and the 5/8" drywall, just screw the hell out of the underlying 5/8" drywall into the studs and screw the Hardiebacker every 8" through the 5/8" drywall and into the studs.

If this is ok, I'll tape the Hardiebacker seems with tape and thinset. Should I also Redgard the Hardie Backer seams to insure no moisture reaches the underlying 5/8" drywall ?

Alternative would be 1/2" drywall with 1/4 hardiebacker on top and 1/8 " of thinset between them, but I think it would be difficult to achieve 1/8" thinset consistency (we're amateurs).

Thoughts please ?

Joe
joe14580 is offline   Reply With Quote