View Single Post
Unread 05-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
Good Morning Flooring
Journeyman

Quote:
please delete if this is a little off topic of the thread...

but I have been seriously considering getting a manual tile cutter and know that you get what you pay for in terms of quality...

something like the Rubi speed 62 seems like it'd be perfect for my needs...

that being said, what kind of learning curve is there to using these properly... basically, how many tiles am I going to screw up before I get the hang of it?
You should be able to use it just fine on ceramics right away, you might struggle with some harder porcelains though. I've come across 3 different porcelain tiles that my rubi and my sigma won't cut, and at least 2 dozen that are inconsistent. Get some cheapo ceramics to get a feel for it, then some cheapo porcelain, or just use leftovers. Cuts glass just fine too. Natural stone... sometimes. Depends on the stone, if there is a bad weak spot in it, etc.

Best advice I can give is:

Use the same pressure the entire length of the cut

If you are having trouble, play with the pressure. Glass and soft glazes require very little pressure most of the time, the really think glazes, ones with multiple glazes, can require lots of pressure, sometimes multiple passes

Speaking of passes, always try to do it in one pass, unless you find a particular tile needs multiple passes

Buy something to keep the bar greased to it moves smoothly. Some do wd40, some bike chain oil, lots of others will give different options, but a smooth movement makes a big difference.

Maybe it's just me, but I find they break easier if you break immediately after the score instead of a second or 2 later

Try a push cutter and a pull cutter to see which movement you like more. I prefer the push type myself, although I own mostly pull ones. I didn't realize until after I bought a bunch of pull ones that I preferred push ones, so yeah. Lots of money to invest in a good one, so figure that out first.

If it starts to not cut as well, replace the cutting wheel! My first employer would change it once a year, regardless of how much is was used, or when it needed it. Made things needlessly difficult sometimes.