View Single Post
Unread 01-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #33
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
I plan and to have a 4" tall boarder bounded by pencil above and below. The boarder as discussed previously is made from travertine pieces on mesh which make a "wave" pattern... Not exactly a mosaic, but along the same idea except it is separate pieces making up a pattern.
Karen, just FYI, in the ceramic tile industry a mosaic tile is one with a facial area of less than 9 square inches. I'm not gonna address your "boarder" on accounta I don't really believe you have a 4" tall boarder.

The sanded/unsanded grout recommendation in the industry standards breaks at 1/8th of an inch grout joints. I rarely use unsanded grout these days and I'll use sanded until the joints are just too small to force it in there or if grouting a tile that will definitely be harmfully scratched by a traditional sanded cementitious grout.

Having seen mounted mosaics similar to yours, I've found they can usually be grouted with sanded grout so long as those white pieces aren't subject to scratching. You'll need to test what you have before you decide what grout to use, but you'll get a better job if you find you're able to use a sanded grout.

You might also look into one of the single-component grouts now on the market as they are technically sanded, but with less abrasive aggregates. And I believe there is at least one sanded cementitious grout that is said to have much finer aggregate than others, but I disremember which one it is. Perhaps someone else will fill in that blank for you.

Mount a section of your mosaic and trim tile and grout it very aggressively with whatever grout you really want to use and gauge the result before you make your decision would be my advice.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote