View Single Post
Unread 06-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
sinkholed

Quote:
transition from Hardi to drywall over a stud ... positioned such that this transition occurs outside the "wet" area but still under a tile. Hardi comes in 1/4" thickness for floors and 1/2" (nominal) for walls. That 1/2" stuff is actually 7/16" so you will have to fair out to 1/2" wallboard. This can be done with thin-set and tape.
What are the pros/cons of using Hardibacker for ALL the walls? I'm worried the transition from hardi to wallboard will be visible if I don't do a perfect job. The wife wants to paint the untiled portions of the walls, and I understand you can do that with hardi since it's smooth. I'm not just worried about achieving a smooth transitioning from hardi to wallboard, I'm also concerned about transitioning from hardi to hardi -- there didn't seem to be any tapered edge on the hardi sheets. Isn't that gonna make it harder to get that smooth transition?

You mentioned using thin-set & tape (as opposed to wallboard compound and tape). Do I take that to mean I should use the same material as I will be using to set the tiles to the wall?

Thanks!

Bob
sinkholed is offline   Reply With Quote