View Single Post
Unread 03-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #31
otrex

A quick question for someone who might know: In the shower area, I am using Kerdi Board. The upper portion and entire back wall will feature bevelled subway tile, and that installation is fairly standard and straightforward (I know the basic concepts, but I'm hiring a tile installer for it regardless).

What is less standard is that I am using a 100% PVC beadboard on the lower half of the walls, both inside and outside the shower, divided by super-clear glass to give the visual impression that the room is large. The beadboard is tongue and groove assembly and I'll be adding extra insurance by using thin bead of sealant inside each groove.

I must take a moment here and mention that I previously tested the beadboard by lying it flat on the table and pouring water on it, then leaving it for an hour. After dabbing the water off that stayed on top I opened the tongue and groove and found no water at all inside. This, I believe, is an even-tougher test than the beadboard will ever face because it gets installed vertically. And since it's 100% PVC, it won't have any issues with rot or decomposition.

My question is this - the manufacturer of the beadboard recommends gluing or nailing the beadboard to the wall, but of course, I am not going to use any nails through the Kerdi board. Instead, I will use an adhesive.

The adhesive/sealant I am looking at is Sikaflex 221, which is described by the manufacturer in this manner:

Sika Sikaflex-221 Non-Sag Polyurethane Sealant White is a one component, moisture-curing polyurethane adhesive sealant that is used for creating a permanent elastic seal for substrates such as metals, wood, paint coatings, ceramics, and plastics. It is a non-corrosive, low odor, high quality sealant that is resistant to diluted acids, limewater, seawater, freshwater, weathering, and aging.

Anyone see any potential issue using this to mount the beadboard onto the Kerdi Board?