View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
cflemeta
Chris

Davy - you were right on. Among a few other problems, this was an issue for sure. The pan liner was moldy as water was trapped between the backerboard and the liner. This was on the curb and around the perimeter of the shower, 8-10 inches above shower pan. Along the curb, water was running on top of the liner and down onto the floor, worst part was where seepage was observed. Surprisingly the lumber on the curb was for the most part dry, water was running on top of the liner but not much got thru the nail holes.

From my untrained eye, here is what I observed in terms of issues with the install.

1) Backer board (some green foam stuff but I haven't seen before) was nailed on the curb and a mere couple inches above shower pan.
2) No waterproofing on the nails contributing to water getting behind it and causing mold on the liner.
3) On the folds of the liner in the curb corner and a couple spots in the middle there were nails on the inside part of the curb.
4) The pan liner itself was not sloped, it was resting on the subloor. During demo the liner was visibly wet and in the rear corners the mud was visibly wet.

To my surprise the bench was bone dry. I started demoing the bench in anticipation of damage but stopped until I figure out next steps. My goal for now was to get the mold out of there. The top of the bench has hardibacker but it appears they also put some other material, looks like tar paper or some thin liner.

So this now leaves me with options for next steps. What would you do if you were me?

I'll share what I am thinking. Demo the rest of the bench tile where it goes past the glass. Replace with a single slab tile with slope. Rebuild the damaged portion only, use wedi or schluter. My concern with this approach is how to waterproof the seams where new meets old. hopefully you would be able to provide some guidance on that.
Attached Images