View Single Post
Unread 01-19-2022, 02:40 PM   #1
spas

Tiling over existing 12x12 Ceramic

Hello,

We want to re-tile our main floor (hallway,kitchen, powder room, and laundry room). It is approx 800 square feet. The builder installed 12x12 ceramic and they installed it properly. There is a 1.5" mud and wire mesh base. There are no cracked or popped tiles and all of the grout is still in perfect condition.

The sub-floor is 5/8 osb, the joist are 2"x8" on 12" center with a span of approx 13' between steel i-beams.

Given the amount of space I really don't want to remove the old floor. We redid the master bath and the main bathroom and it was a massive pain to remove, even with a jackhammer. The builder did it right the first time!

I see Schluter now has a product called Primer-U which is designed to be applied over existing ceramic or other surfaces to improve the adhesion.

We want to go with a large format tile, either 24x48 or 30x30 porcelain. I would use the Schluter Allset thinset. We did the main bathroom with 24x48 and it turned out great!

Question - give the floor space (basically almost half the main floor) would the weight of a new porcelain tile floor be too much for the existing floor (i.e. joists)? If the existing base is structurally solid, is there any disadvantages of tiling over the existing ceramic (other than the increased height)?

Thanks in advance...
Steve